“Jesus, Mary and Joseph you look like you’ve lost weight. Have you been eating? Holy Mary Mother of God, where did I go wrong? My daughter the waif…“- Momma Angelina (The Case Files of Andie Adams)
Momma’s Eggplant Rollatini Recipe:
1 large eggplant
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) container ricotta cheese
4 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Cut eggplant lengthwise in slices. Rinse slices & dry with paper towel or napkin.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Season eggplant with salt & pepper & dip in flour. Saute till golden brown & drain excess olive oil on paper towels.
3. In a bowl, mix together the basil, ricotta & mozzarella. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper.
4. Place several tablespoons of filling on one end of the eggplant slices then roll up & secure with toothpicks (or shish kabab sticks).
5. In a lightly greased casserole type dish, spread a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce. (recipe for marinara sauce below)
6. Place rollatini in dish & cover with remaining sauce. Bake for about 40 minutes.
Momma’s Marinara Sauce Recipe:
1 can of whole tomatoes ( I like to use the blue can of Tuttorosso whole peeled tomatoes, but that’s just my preference.)
1 Tablespoon of dried basil
2 Cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
(For a zestier sauce add a pinch of dried oregano.)
First run tomatoes and garlic through a food processor. Add tomatoes, garlic and herbs to a saucepan. Bring sauce to a boil and then turn stovetop down and let simmer on low heat for about an hour and a half. Stirring occasionally.